Monday 23 February 2015

Ideas Generation

                                                            Ideas Generation 



Before I did any ideas generation I had to decide what route I want to take for my Final Major Project. The choices were wide and broad and had a good variety. After thorough thinking I decided to go with Character concept. 


                                                               

Having decided on Character Concept I went on to generate further ideas on what I could do. I went in detail and thought about all possible paths. In this mind map I put down all ideas I had for example different styles I could create the concepts in like Manga, Realistic, Anime, Cartoon and Fantasy. I even put down the possible sizes I could create the art in like A3 or A4 and as I proceed and get practical with the work I will remain open to all other sizes to work with. I thought it'd be good to broaden my work with not just one gender specific art and so I put down the possibility of both sex for my future concepts. I could also do digital  concepts given the right equipment like a Graphic Tablet or a Touch Screen designed for digital art. I could use softwares such as Adobe Photoshop, Zbrush and Maya (for 3D perhaps). For now the one I am mainly focused on is art on paper that has a pencil base (to start with).

At this stage I was just compiling as many ideas and possibilities as I could. This did not show every decision I would ultimately make, but instead all the possible routes I could take. 

For example digital has options that say Zbrush, Maya and Photoshop. This shows the possible softwares I can use to start my project in. The decision later on that I made was to go with Adobe Photoshop (CS3, CS5, CS5 Extended and CS6).


The ideas generation stage was only to write down as many ideas and possibilities that could realistically be used by me. 

I decided to make more than one mind map because I wanted to thoroughly decide on all the factors that part by part make up the entire project. The map above is titled Concept Art and in this generation of ideas I talked about everything related to the art. I talked about the tools that I could use, the paper size, the art style of my drawing, 2D and 3D, the type of paint that could be used, the genre of the drawings (it ties in further with the story) and the software I could use for my art. 

In the end, with all these options in front of me I made decisions much faster and easier. I decided to create both digital and hand drawn and both the sides would tie together to the story. I  chose Adobe Photoshop as my base software for the digital side and for hand drawn art I made pencil drawings with extensive shading, fine liner drawings with a pen, I used water color for some concepts and Acrylic paint. I went with multiple drawing and painting materials because this shows I am able to use different types and styles. 









To my understanding, the games industry has a system that applies to every single game made by anyone. More often, big companies have more people working for them and that means they have different sectors like Development, Art, Modelling, Animating, Bug testing etc. For one to work, the other has to have an idea of what it/they want for example if the project leader doesn't know what he/she wants the game to look like then the artist wouldn't know what concepts to create let alone any finished art work for the game.

 Therefore I wanted to have a base to my art as this would help create the art for a game and I would not have to create random art pieces that do not go together. On the web diagram above, it shows me creating a mind storm of all the things I could use for the story (to have a strong base for the artwork to go off of).

The idea of evil winning in a game is not common because we are always introduced to a game that has ''good'' winning and defeating ''evil''. I created a story that shows god (the idea of good) as being defeated long before the main story even begins because I find this quite interesting. I chose the base of my art to go from the story and this meant whatever the story has, the scenes , the characters, the assets etc that's what I would create my characters and art for.


                         


No comments:

Post a Comment